In the aftermath of the Trumpocalypse, there are a lot of reasons to double down on diversity and inclusion. The most important: a lot of blacks, Latinxs, women, Muslims, LGBTQs, immigrants, people with disabilities, and other marginalized groups are being targeted and need our support right now.
Indeed they do, and one way we can all help people right now is speaking up when we see everyday bigotry. The Southern Poverty Law Center has a great guide on this.
Another way to help is sharing good information. For example
- Rebel Well: A Starter Survival Guide to Trump’s America (by Heather Corrina and s e smith)
- Things to do now: the TL;DR checklist from the Oh Crap! What Now? Survival Guide — including time-sensitive recommendations for trans people (make decisions with regards to your legal gender, if you haven’t, and get your documents in place before the election)
- There quite a few good resources for protecting yourself online. A DIY Guide to Feminist Cybersecurity, the Crash Override Network, EFF’s Surveillance Starter Pack and the rest of their Surveillance Self-Defense Kit, Feminist Frequency’s Speak Up & Stay Safe, and Security in a Box all have good information.
And, some other good links to go with the article:
- Anil Dash, It’s Time to Get to Work
- Melinda Briana Epler, How to Take Action in a World of Hate
- Zeynep Tufekci, By design, algorithm & policy Facebook entrenches echo chambers and amplifes misinformation, Twitter thread with links to her New York Times article and other things she’s written over the last several years
- Culture Jedi, e-Carceration: Race, Technology, and the Future of Policing and Prisons in America keynote at Fusion Magazine’s Real Future Fair
- Lauren DeLisaColeman, Here’s What Happened When I Emailed Twitter Tops About Race & Its Connect To The Trump Tech Meltdown
- EricaJoy, After
- Tressie McMillan Cottom, Digital Redlining After Trump: Real Names and Fake News on Facebook
- Micah Sifry, Illusion’s End, on Civicist
- Noah Manger, There’s no App for This
- Maciej Ceglowski, Tech and Mass Deportations, collected by Thomas Robinson on Storify
- Gilad Lotan, Fake News Is Not the Only Problem on Points.
Finally, many non-profit organizations need support during this time, including CAIR, the ACLU, the Center for Media Justice, United We Dream, and the ones listed in Joanna Rothkopf’s List of Pro-Women, Pro-Immigrant, Pro-Earth, Anti-Bigotry Organizations. Please contribute to ones that you believe in — and look for opportunities to volunteer as well!